Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Smarter than their mommy




By: Samantha S. Daviss

My boys are my life, I love everything about being their mommy. But don’t get me wrong there are those days that I would love to just hide in my nice warm sheets and never get out of bed, and maybe sleep for two days straight. But I know I would bore too easily; and I would hate to miss even a moment of my babies’ lives.

I hear and read so many stories of parents that have sadly lost their children too soon due to an illness or a horrible accident, and to those parents I lift you up in prayer and thought every single day. I couldn’t imagine my life, or even one second of my days, without my boys in it.

I’m at such an incredible stage with my pre-teen, that he and I really do talk about everything. We have one of the neatest mother-son relationships. I try not to overstep my bounds, as I know he needs to learn on his own, have a few bumps and bruises; but he knows that I am here for him 24/7. I love that he comes in to my room and sits on the foot of my bed and talks to me about girls, or things in his life that are bothering him. But I love the most that he is my buddy, he and I are constantly joking and cutting up together. He and I have a running joke between each other, that when the other says something “not so intelligent”…we always say that “we are so glad the other is pretty”.

He and I have the kind of relationship that I hope will last forever. He knows I will always be the number one gal in his life, until he finds that perfect match. And at that point, I pray that she can love me as much as he loves me.

But the two little ones are in a funny chatty and negotiating stage. There is not one day that goes by that they don’t crack me up and make me smile. They have both gotten in the habit of telling me “here’s the deal, mom”…and then proceed to tell me what my plans are for the day, where we are going to go, when we are going to do it, and how it fits into “their schedule”.

The middle one is constantly negotiating with me. For example, if he wants a cup of milk, and I say he has had enough…he will negotiate a deal with me. “If you get me some milk now, then I will eat all of my dinner”. News Flash!! You were going to eat all of your dinner regardless.

Most recently the youngest decided to get out of bed after I had already read a book to him, said our prayers, and gave him all of his kisses. My oldest saw the light on under the door so he peeked in to see what was happening, and the little one was playing with his train track, but there was one additional accessory on the train track. So my oldest came to get me and show me what was going on…I opened the door, and all over the floor was baby powder. Even though it was late and I was exhausted, for some reason I didn’t get upset. I couldn’t wait to see what his excuse was.

“It snowed Momma. My choochoo went through the tunnel and needed snow on it like in Tolorado (Colorado in layman’s terms).” I couldn’t help but pick him up, squeeze him tight and giggle. Only my little man would think his choochoo needed some snow. I actually thought it was pretty clever.

And my most favorite statement happened over the Christmas holidays. We went on a family ski vacation with some friends and had a great time. All my boys are now officially slope savvy, even the little one. But in the airport on the way to ski, we were all standing at the window watching the airplanes come and go, the men load and unload the luggage, and the other men load and unload the food carts. When out of the blue, my middle one says (hand to God)…”Mom, you know those planes all look a little older. They seem to look like the planes from the 80s”.

I nearly fell out…I know everyone around me thought I had lost my mind, but I couldn’t stop laughing. So I quickly responded with “You sure they look like the planes from the 80s, considering you were born in 2010?”

“Yep, they definitely look like the planes from the 80s mom.”

I know we all have funny stories to share about our little ones; but what’s most important is to remember that they all go by so quickly. I will soon be entering the teenage stage of life, many of you are sending babies off to college and some into marriage, and some are bringing home your grandbabies…so cherish every minute of every day with your little ones, no matter how exhausting they can be. I have to remind myself daily…that one day I will get all the sleep I want, because, sadly, my babies will all be grown and gone.

No comments: