Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Why do Girls Cost More?



 

By: Samantha S. Daviss

 

When my husband and I first started dating, he was deep into bachelorhood. But I guess my whit, charm, and dazzling personality wooed him enough to help him see the error of his ways, and that dating, marriage, children, and family were more his speed; and the single life was his former life.

But during his single life, he was forced to only care for himself, shop for himself, and clean for himself. He never realized the expense girls must incur. Sure he shopped for former girlfriends, and he knows that girls just shop more…period. But now that he is in the throes of wedded bliss, he is starting to realize that being a girl just simply costs more than being a boy.  I’ve always realized this issue, but this has really become a point of contention with my husband, ever since he really had to start paying attention to my clothes, and the expenses I was incurring.

Now I’m not talking about our “frivolous girlie needs” like manicures, pedicures, or massages. Although, our men may complain about the cost of those luxuries, they wouldn’t have anything less than a quaffed beauty on their arm. No I am talking about comparing apples to apples, everything that a man needs a woman needs.

For example, I understand that a woman getting her hair styled and colored should cost a lot more than a man’s haircut; no, what I am talking about is a simple trim. My husband can get his hair cut from anywhere between $16 and $25. But when I want just to trim my hair, I am not talking styling, or layering, or anything tricky, I am simply needing a trim to cut off the dead ends…why is my hair cut typically three times more expensive than his haircut?

An even better comparison is a white button down shirt; clean, simple, and neat. We all need one, for one reason or another, be it for work, for casual wear, whatever your style is, I personally think a white button down is a staple needed in anyone’s closet. But a woman’s button down, on the average, runs at least double to four times more expensive than a man’s button down. And in so doing this comparison, I am cross referencing within the same store. I am not comparing some elite boutique to an average chain store. I am truly comparing apples to apples. So why is this, I ask you?

Is it because the women do most of the shopping, so the retailers know that we will pay more, because we are trapped? I wish there was something we could all do about it. I wish we could take a stand. But I know, that shopping, hunting, and scavenging for that “awesome deal” is in our DNA as woman. But think about it, what if…what if there was a world of equality, in the retail industry.

We do the same jobs as men, yet we are still paid less, even in the year 2013; but yet, we need the same clothes, and luxuries that men need and want, and we are charged double, if not more. Funny, I am definitely no math major, but that really doesn’t add up, now does it? We are paid less, but have to spend more to clothe ourselves. Kind of makes you go “Hmmmmm?”

Only place we get a price cut is on “Ladies’ Night” at the bar…but that’s not much of a deal, because we have weird, annoying men bothering us all night, in the same button down shirt that we are wearing, but he paid half of what we paid for ours. So darn right we should get free drinks.

I know we can never stop shopping, but wouldn’t it be nice to be able to pay the same prices men pay for the items in their closet? Can you imagine the damage we could do then, ladies?

But seriously, it’s an unusual concept, and you have to admit that it is. But I have always sat idly by my entire life and paid the prices that are required of me as a woman; but humorously, this issue irritates my husband more than it does me.

Just something to think about.

 

No comments: