Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pillow Thoughts the Woman’s Version



By: Samantha S. Daviss

When my husband is home, we try to make a concerted effort to spend some time alone together talking about the day’s activities or events or occasions we may having coming up on the family or personal calendar. It is very difficult to keep five lives organized and to keep everyone in the loop, especially when the daddy of the house is gone about a third to half the time.

So sadly a lot of our “alone time” is spent discussing how we are going to juggle the kids, our lives, which babysitter is coming over, and basically just playing catch up on our lives.

But as a woman, our brains don’t stop there; I’ve noticed that my husband can lay his head on his pillow and be out like a light. I kind of envy him for that. To be able to just shut it off, but that is a guy thing I guess. Whereas myself, as a woman, it takes me almost an hour to shut my brain activity down.

I start replaying everything we just talked about with running the kids around and getting us to our next event. Then realizing that I don’t have enough gas in my car, so I really need to fill up first thing in the morning. But I had it on my calendar to have my car cleaned, which I do about once a millennium, judging by the “aquarium” of goldfish piled in the rubble of smashed pretzels in the carpet of my floorboard, because I don’t have enough time in my day to relinquish my car to a detail professional long enough to have my car detailed.

But then realizing that our next event involves our friends, so how embarrassing is it that they will be walking through Goldfish to be able to sit down in their seats. Oh no! The baby’s car seat got juice spilled all in it yesterday, I really need to clean that out. But “nope” I don’t have time for that because he has to get to swim lessons in the morning, right after I get gas in my car. And oh yea, maybe I could run my Dustbuster over the floor of my car…oh that’s right it doesn’t work anymore. So the next time I am near a Target or Wal-Mart I can run in and get one. But I have to plan it when the kids aren’t with me so I don’t have to unbuckle everyone and drag them in the store with me; and have to battle them all wanting a toy from the toy isle.

Toy!! Oh gosh we have two birthday parties this weekend. Wait! Were they boys, or girls, or twins, I can’t remember. I need to check my calendar to double check when and where they are taking place. 

My calendar!! Oh no… where is it? Is it in the car, my purse? I can’t remember.

Hummm I wonder if when I get a new Dustbuster if I need to get some more sheets for the baby’s new toddler bed. But it’s such a weird size they probably don’t make them in that size. And while I am in his room I really need to go through his clothes to see which ones fit and which ones don’t fit.

And speaking of clothes not fitting, I really need to get back on my “Gluten Free/Sugar Free” kick. I was doing so great with that there for a while. After all it is bikini season. That’s right… I need to return my bathing suit top that was too big, I wonder when we will be back in Dallas for me to exchange that?

Well hopefully I won’t have to make too many pool appearances any time soon. Pool! Swim lessons in the morning, where did I hang their swimsuits after today’s lessons, are they in the utility or hanging in the garage. I really need to go through their toys in the garage and get rid of some of the toys they don’t play with anymore. I wonder if my girlfriend would be interested in having another garage sale with me any time soon.

Well as I sit here and gaze lovingly at my husband who has now been asleep for an hour, I guess my pillow thoughts had better shut down for the day so I can get up, get gas, take the kids to swim, maybe get that scratch on the back of my car looked at, and then really get my day going tomorrow.

Oh to be able to shut it off and fall asleep. I guess as a mom, wife, and woman I will never be able to do that. I wonder if they have a “drug” out there for that…maybe if I thought about it long enough I could invent one in all my spare time between the kids, work, writing my book, and cleaning my car.

Whewww…just remember girls can do anything boys can do (sometimes better). Kind of scary climbing into a woman’s head, isn’t it?

No comments: