Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pillow Thoughts, the man’s version



By: Samantha S. Daviss

Last week I briefly touched on what rattles through a woman’s head just as she is trying to lay down and rest her weary aching bones to try and squeeze in at least six good hours of sleep. Well that “little project” prompted me to get the man’s nightly ritual of preparing their minds for a restful night’s sleep.

So here is what goes through the man’s head as he snuggles down into deep sleep for the night.......

Just in case you missed it, here it is again…a man’s thoughts before sleeping…………

Yep that’s it. That’s all they think about…NOTHING!

I would like to say all joking aside, this intrigued me into actually diving in to the man’s psyche just a little bit. So my husband and I were driving along together and I asked him, “What do you think about before you go to sleep?”

“Interesting question he said, honestly not much of anything.” So I asked, “You don’t even think about the kids, what you need to get done the next day, work, anything like that?”

“Nope, guys typically think about that way before we lay our heads down to sleep, that checklist is cleared off in our minds. I guess if I were to say we think about anything, it’s things more like the round of golf we played that day. We will replay every single stroke in our heads, trying to figure out how we could have improved our score. Or if we played cards that night with our buddies, we can and will replay every single hand trying to figure out where we went wrong, or what card we SHOULD have played. So I guess it’s a numbers thing with us, not anything we need to accomplish, just numbers.”

I couldn’t believe it was that simple. I lay in bed wondering how I am going to get it all done in the next 24 hours, and with the list I have accrued, I manage to attach about 30 more chores for myself do to. And all they are worried about or get stressed about is how they could have improved on their scores or strokes that day with their buddies.

It is absolutely amazing to me how man and woman can survive together. I always say The Big Guy knew what he was doing when he put us together, but sometimes I wonder if he was having an off day when he came to the Man should Take Woman conclusion.

The other thing that fascinates me, is when my husband and I have a disagreement. Sometimes it takes us both a little while to cool down, but once we do we have always made it a habit to sort of “rehash” our argument, to try and figure out where the major hiccup was in our lack of communication, or misunderstanding to allow the argument to progress to a whole other level. And the realization is astounding to us both.

Typically he said one thing, and I keyed in on something completely different. Or I said something, and he took it that I meant it another way. It is astounding how differently our minds function, process, and hear various things or just basically go through life. As my example of men and women falling asleep differently has proven to be true; so differently that I am not even under the covers before my husband is already in REM sleep.

We are completely different creatures, but regardless of how we maneuver through life, I know my life wouldn’t be complete without my other half.

No comments: