Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Life is one big Cliché


By: Samantha S. Daviss

 

You know it’s funny you hear all of life’s little clichés of how to live a longer, happier, more fulfilling life.

“Live life to its fullest.”

“Live each day like it’s your last.”

“Never go to bed angry.”

“Always tell those closest to you how much they mean to you.”

 

Well this past weekend, made all those phrases come to fruition for me. It really was just a normal average weekend; the two babies and I dropped off their older brother at a friend’s [house] for a sleepover, then we went to run some errands in Waxahachie. When we finished we headed home to meet one of my girlfriends and her son at the park to play and enjoy the fleeting time we had with the warm weather and sunshine.

Soon after the park we headed home to play at our house and let the kids ride bikes until the sun set. As we were just about to head into the house, I received a phone call from the parents where my oldest was sleeping over…I knew something was wrong because these parents never call when they have my son. I trust them implicitly and I know he is in good hands.

Now bear in mind this is a house full of boys and the neighborhood is filled with boys so there have been a fair share of minor accidents, broken bones, and burns that have occurred while this rowdy group of boys has played together. So when I answered the phone, I answered with a simple…”Let me guess, he broke his arm.” The dad on the other end was stunned that I knew what had happened. He answered in amazement that my son had in fact broken his arm, from a trampoline incident. My son juked, when he should have jived and apparently the ground won.

So I of course jumped in the car to go grab my baby boy and take him to the emergency room and get him put back together, just like Humpty Dumpty. Amazingly, I was fairly calm, of course my adrenaline was pumping, because what good mom’s adrenaline wouldn’t kick into overdrive when she hears her baby is hurt? On my way to get him the sun had completely set, so it went from dusk to dark in a matter of moments. As I was approaching my meeting spot with the other parents, who live a little outside of town, I saw this image appear out of the corner of my left eye; it wasn’t until the figure was right in front of my car that I realized it was a pretty good sized  doe.

It all happened in an instant. They say things that happen in life, happen in a flash, and you really don’t realize they are happening, and it is so true. Sadly that poor doe didn’t have a chance with my SUV, but in opposition, she did some serious damage to my car too. It was completely un-drivable, with a steaming radiator and all, so I pulled over to the side of the road and the other parent swung around to pick me up to drive both my son and myself to the Emergency Room. I wasn’t hurt, I just obviously, now needed a ride to the ER with my son.

So off we went, for yet another visit to our local ER for one of my crazy boys. They did a fabulous job tending to him, all went smoothly and well for us, and we walked out all intact, and heavy one broken arm and cast.

After we returned home, and I got everyone in bed, and the house was calm again and things were back to normal (relatively speaking for our household); I laid in bed and started to play back the events of the day, thinking how simple it all started out, running errands when it rapidly took a turn for the worse. The realization of how fortunate we were began to hit me as I laid in bed next to my husband holding his hand. Grateful that a broken arm and a smashed radiator is all we had to contend with.

All of those clichés of how to enjoy life came rushing into my mind realizing that my car wreck could have ended so much worse. I could have swerved and hit a pole, or cut too hard and rolled my car; my son could have landed on his head and broken his neck or given himself a severe concussion. So “living each day to its fullest”, “enjoying every moment”, and “living with no regrets” isn’t such bad advice after all; but as they say life can change in an instant.

My family was lucky, but we all need to sit back and realize just how quickly our lives can change. Be thankful for what you have, don’t sweat the small stuff, and find humor in it all.

After it was all said and done, my girlfriend told me that she wasn’t sure she could continue being my friend; she said being me was too exhausting. I giggled, and couldn’t have agreed more. And so you see, after the fear of our what-could-have-been accidents passed us by, I sat back and laughed at how true her statement was…that our lives are in constant motion, and I am really not sure what I would do if I ever got to sit still if even for a moment.

Pull those you love just a little closer to you today, and realize just how lucky you are that they are in your lives, safe and sound…because things could change in an instant.

No comments: