Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 28, 2013

When in Rome

In the Tree House: When In Roam (#13)

By: Samantha Stroube Daviss


If you have the travel bug and you like to visit new and exciting places; or you only have one trip in your life to take…then may I suggest Italy?

Those Italians they have it figured out. They stop working in the middle of the day to take what they call a Siesta, which is just another excuse for them to close their place of business, and go join their friends for a cup of cafĂ© or a beer. It is wonderful. The entire country shuts down from 2-4 pm. So your expectations aren’t very high, because you know nothing will be open.

They know how to live life. Their primary focus is not on working or earning money it is about enjoying time with those they love, their culture, and spending time alone. They know they have a beautiful country with an abundance of history to enjoy, and they take advantage of that.

Don’t get me wrong, they too have joined the rat race of cell phones and technology, but it is not their life, not like it is here in America. When they are with friends and family, they are really there with them. They aren’t texting someone else that is not there, or speaking on the phone over the conversation at the table that is currently going on.

So having been blessed with the opportunity to visit Italy, I say “When in Rome, do as the Romans.” Don’t get me wrong, I am more proud to be an American than anything. I know there are people all over the world who are literally dying to become a citizen of this country. But I am not talking in political terms; I am talking in cultural terms. Sometimes I forget or get wrapped up in life, but I always try to remember to keep things simple.  For example when I am out with all of our friends for dinner, for some reason I always take the time to sit back and just watch the goings on for a moment. Because I feel so blessed that we are all there, sitting and enjoying each other’s company, and not texting or Facebooking. We are there in the moment.

The Italians get it. They understand what life is all about. I don’t think Americans understand what life is all about, or should be about. We are all in such a rush all of the time. We get two to three weeks vacation a year, the Italians; they get a month to two months vacation a year. I just feel sorry for us sometimes. I sit and I watch us all as we run around from our jobs, to home, to activities.
The times I treasure the most are in the fall and the spring, when my kids and I and my husband all go outside and sit in the front yard and enjoy each other’s company while the kids play or run around.
That is what life is all about. It is not about Facebook, and who is doing what, or texting and missing what is going on right in front of your face. Life is about you and your loved ones and what is going on right now at this moment.
If I am teaching my kids anything, I hope it is how to enjoy life. I want them to realize that there is more out there than their everyday routine, and that they should enjoy each other, their friends, and their family. Because one day, it could all be gone.
And that is why I love the Italians so much, they are loving, friendly, and all in all they are happy people. Because they have it figured out. They understand that life isn’t what you have but who you have.

No comments: