Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What Boys Should Hear from Their Mommas

In the Tree House: Things a Young Man Should Know (via Mom)

By: Samantha S. Daviss


As a mother of only boys, I thought this article to be very apropos for me, personally. So if you have a boy, expecting a boy, or even if your boy is a grown man, I thought this was a great article.

For those of you with only girls, I am sorry, I am not able to think like a “girl mom”, as my brain doesn’t work that way. My brain can only handle dirty rooms, dirty clothes, dirty socks, stinky bath towels, sports balls, bats, gloves…well, you get the idea.

As usual I read this fantastic article, but of course I am going to put my personal spin on it for you all to enjoy, from my point of view.

I dedicate this to my three fantastic boys whom I love with my entire heart and soul; you guys make my world spin.

Starting with #20….

20.       Remember to call me….I just might be missing you.

19.       Please choose your spouse wisely….for many reasons of course. But mainly because she will be the gatekeeper to me spending time with my grand children.

18.       Don’t marry too young…you may think you’re ready but you’re not. I think 30 is a great age. You’ve got all the curiosity and wonderment out of your system.

17.       It’s ALWAYS better to be kind, rather than right all the time.

16.       Bringing her flowers for no reason…always a great idea! But remember; don’t expect a thing in return.

15.       Be a good, strong, solid leader and I promise one day others will follow your example. Peer pressure is a bear.

14.       The reason they are called “private parts” is because they are private. You don’t need to scratch them or brag about them in public.

13.       No matter your age, I will still hunt you down if you don’t say “yes ma’am” and “yes sir”. They both go a really long way.

12.       Respect her…a woman can do anything you can do. And that includes a successful career while nursing and changing diapers at 3 A.M.

11.       Be strong, but love with your whole heart, too.

10.       Take pride in your work, your appearance, and your upbringing.

9.         Treat women with mutual respect and kindly. Forever is an awfully long time to live alone, and an even longer time to live with someone who hates your guts.

8.         Knowledge and education can never be taken away from you. Cherish them, and let them carry you far.

7.         Don’t ever be a bully. Remember son, you are far from perfect. And don’t ever pick a fight, you are better than that. But if someone ever clocks you….defend yourself.

6.         Pray and be a great spiritual leader.

5.         Something every young man should be introduced to. Son I would like you to meet:
                        a) The dishwasher
                        b) The oven
                        c) The washing machine
                        d) The iron
                        e) The toilet bowl brush
                        f) The vacuum
                        g) And the mop and broom
            Now please feel free to go use them at anytime.

4.         Save your money while you’re young. I promise someday you’ll need it.

3.         Always make sure you use good aim when you go to the bathroom, someone has to clean it up.

2.         You are the one that will set the tone for an intimate relationship. So know what you are doing when you are doing it…don’t take something away from her that you can’t give back.

1.                  Play a sport, any sport. Don’t let people pressure you into playing “the most popular” sport. But sports teach you how to win honorably, lose gracefully, honesty, integrity, how to work with others, and it will keep you out of trouble if you’re truly are focused.

And the one thing I, personally, always tell my boys…

You aren’t better than any one person in this world. Stay true to who you are, believe in yourself, and always treat others with respect.


However, my latest mantra to my little men is a wonderful message. And I have to attribute hearing it from a wonderful person, leader, and role model, and that is Ms. Robin Roberts from Good Morning America.

Her mother always told her to make sure her “messes left a message”. And I absolutely love that for my boys. Because that is all I want them to learn from life. They will have ups and downs, and they will make a mess of things (or have a mess made of their life for them)…but I want them to walk away having learned something from each and every situation…pull the message from it.

Boys, like girls, are complex creatures…but if they have a few straight-forward rules to lean on, it will make life and growing up just a little easier on them.

No comments: