Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 28, 2013

This Seat is Taken

In the Tree House: This Seat is Taken
By: Samantha S. Daviss

I’ve noticed a major change in human nature as of recent. I don’t mean yesterday, I mean over the last 3 or 4 decades. People need, nay want, “their space”. Now Europeans aren’t quite as closed off as Americans, but I am not saying it is just Americans, but it seems to be a little more prevalent here than most places.

And I, again, am tending to blame it on technology. I feel technology has digressingly affected our social skills, almost to the point that they don’t exist any longer. We are so wrapped up in our phones and computers, that we have forgotten how to touch, feel, and personally interact with human beings on a “three dimensional” level.

This recently happened to my mother in a movie theater. And as she pointed out, she is a relatively nice smelling lady, not scary looking, and has really impeccable hygiene, so I am not sure that was the issue. But she and my dad went to a movie together, and it was opening day for this particular movie, so as you can suspect the theater was fairly crowded.

So as we are all aware, people skip seats between their movie-going neighbors, as if they have some sort of disease. And it is never two seats or four seats so couples can sit next to each other, it is always odd numbers like one seat or three seats. But in this particular instance, as I mentioned the theater was crowded, so my mom sat down next to what seemed to be a nice looking young man there with his two friends. And the minute she sat down he “huffed” and scooted forward in his chair and turned his back towards her. Now she wasn’t bothering him, talking to him or ogling over him; THEN… suddenly he got up and moved down to the end of the row two people away.

Now was that really necessary? Do people really need that much personal space? Because if they do, then don’t go to a movie theater where there will be other people. I just feel that we as a society have lost touch with other humans. We don’t know how to interact or enjoy the company of others around them.

For example, if that young man was placed on an airplane next to a stranger, he can’t go anywhere…so here is what I do when I am next to a stranger; I say hello, and start up a very casual conversation. Especially on an airplane…why not? You’re going to be sitting next to them for the next few hours, so why not be friendly and get to know them?

People, or strangers, really aren’t that scary; in fact to me, the human race and various people fascinate me. My best friend always teases me and tells me that I could become friends with a brick wall. In fact this weekend we were talking about our personalities, and she told me that to some people I may come across a little strong, but in a good way. I am the type to start talking to you and become hard-fast friends ; where it would take a normal person a few months to get to know someone on that same level, as I just did in a few hours. She was also joking with me saying that I tell everybody about myself, whether they care or not. But that’s just me, there are no heirs about me, I am who I am…and I just love to talk and get to know different folks that make up this wonderful world.

I understand we all need our own space, and time and “elbow room”; but there is absolutely no need to be blatantly rude about it. And if you have such fear of being near other people, then don’t put yourself in a situation that involves strangers being around you, like a movie theater, amusement park, or a park bench for that matter.

No comments: