Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 28, 2013

It's Times Like These

In the Tree House: It’s Times Like These…
By: Samantha S. Daviss

It’s the tough times when you truly know who your friends are. We all go through life smiling, laughing, joking, and talking to one another at social occasions, parties, or just on a daily basis whether it’s in the pick-up line at school, or at the grocery store.

But it’s the times of disaster, heartache and struggle that you really know who your friends are, and it’s the tough times that makes me even that more grateful that I live in a small town and a tight community. It’s easy to be friends with people when there is no stress, or anything to worry about; but it’s the difficult times and the tears, and the times when shoulders are needed that really tests a friendship. I like to call it the “gut check moment” in a friendship. Are they willing to step out of their comfort zone to help in any way possible?

Is that person willing to sit and just let you cry? Will they be there for you and your family at the drop of a hat? Will they come watch your children for you if you call them at 6am? Will they get a food chain together for you? Will they send a collection plate around to help out with all the gas you are burning through trying to get to the hospital every day?

If you answered yes to any of those questions…then you truly have good people in your corner. And my family and I are incredibly blessed…because I was able to answer “yes” to every single one of those questions. And not to mention that they are good friends…but they are in fact good people, too. And deeds like this, in my book of life, should not go unnoticed.

I live in my little “hole” I call life, day in and day out. Between my kids, my job(s), my house, and just my normal everyday routine…I live in a hole. And I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I love the little “hole” I have created for myself and my family. But sometimes terrible things happen in life that force you out of your hole and your routine, and it’s those times you need support and guidance from those around you.

So when those people and loved ones that you are lucky enough to surround yourself with pull themselves out of the woodwork, and their “holes” that they have precisely created for their families, and go out of their way to help you, assist you, or just be a shoulder for you…then you are an incredibly lucky human being for having been able to surround yourself with such amazing people, friends, and positive energy.

If you take nothing from a bad situation where you did need assistance and help from those around you, take the fact that the old adage rings true “It does take a village…” and “Never be too proud”. Because when you are down and need a hand, there will always be one there to pick you up, sometimes you just need to take the time to look up and reach for it.

Dedicated to:  All of our amazing family members and friends of our family who have truly rallied together to make this extremely hard time in our lives a little more bearable. I personally thank you all from the bottom of my heart, you know who you are and we are forever indebted to you for your love and support.

No comments: