Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 28, 2013

What do YOU want to Give?

In the Tree House: What do you want to give?

By: Samantha Stroube Daviss


Well since today is Christmas Day, I thought it very apropos to write about this wonderful season of giving and the true meaning of Christmas.

I read the most wonderful quote the other day in regards to teaching your children the correct thing to do; in addition, it’s not a bad reminder for us “old folks” either…

      First: Ask your children “What do you want to give others for Christmas?”

      Second: Then ask them “What would you like for Christmas?”

“The first fosters generosity of heart and outward focus, and the second can breed selfishness if not tempered by the first.” –author unknown

I thought this was wonderful. Because unfortunately with all of the hustle and bustle of the holidays, regardless of your religious beliefs, we seem to lose sight for the reason of the season, especially the youngsters. I seem to hear more “Oh and Mom, can I add this to my Santa list?” Or “Since I asked Santa for this…I want to ask you to get me this.”

I just think it is so very important that we all remember what we are celebrating. On Christmas Day we are celebrating our Lord and Savior’s birth; or you may be celebrating the eight days of Hanukkah. Regardless of your beliefs, we all need to focus outwardly, not focus on our inner desires and wants.

Now, trust me, I understand that is hard for a little person to understand. But if we allow them to be a part of community service, or even help with the purchasing of gifts for others, they will feel a sense of fulfillment and honor when handing out gifts to others.

In fact in our household it is a tradition that we have our kiddo play “Santa” in regards to handing out all the presents to his other siblings, parents and grandparents. That way he understands that it is not just all about ripping open packages to see if the next is better than the previous.

I also encourage him to purchase a gift for his little brothers and for his dad. And as the little ones get older I will expect the same for them. And I always notice there is a sense of pride and excitement when he picks the gift out, wraps them, and presents them to his family.

We also try to find a tree filled with tags on it, to give to a deserving family that is in need of toys or clothes for their children. My life lesson to all my children is to appreciate what you have each and every day, because one day it could be taken from you in the blink of an eye. And we need to remember what the holidays are all about, and it’s not presents and toys from Santa, it is about the birth of Jesus and spending time with friends and family.

All I wish this season is the very best and brightest for you and yours. May your stockings be filled with love and joy and your trees (or menorah) surrounded with smiles, laughter, and family.

No comments: