Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Why the Rush?

In the Tree House: Why the Rush? 

By: Samantha Stroube Daviss

Sometimes I feel like that 83 year-old-man who likes to get up at 5:30 in the morning and head downtown to his favorite coffee shop and talk with the waitress that he has talked to for the past 15 years. They talk about the weather, and the patrons as they pass through the front door, and the "young whipper snappers" that are always in such a hurry these days. And by "young whipper snapper" that age range includes anyone from the age of 65 and younger.

But sadly, that is how I feel sometimes. I feel like the whole world is in such a major rush, and even though I am only 30-something (this will never be revealed), I feel like the world is in such a rush around me. I will admit, I'm not completely innocent. I am a mother of two, a wife, a working woman, and a basket case sometimes. And I do admit that I am in a rush at times, but I just feel like the whole world is in a rush...ALL OF THE TIME. In such a rush that we all miss what is really going on around us. Do we really notice the deer grazing on the side of the highway as we zip to our destination at 75 MPH? Do we lay in the grass with our kids any more and make up shapes out of the clouds floating above?

And to be honest there is no one to blame but ourselves. We have allowed technology to inundate our private and personal lives, to go beyond the walls of our business and professional lives, and take over every aspect of our lives. We now officially live in a world that we no longer communicate with one another by the spoken word, we communicate through typing, texting and social networks on the internet. In fact it has gotten so bad that when we do pick up the phone to talk to someone, we hope that it goes straight to their voice mail, so we don't have to waste time having a full blown conversation. You know I'm right, you know you're guilty of getting a big grin across your face when that fourth ring comes and you know the next one is going to voice mail.

I'll tell you how I got on this tangent. I was driving on I-45 the other day, after Christmas. Surprisingly the traffic wasn't too bad, it was steady but not horrible. But I watched everyone as they zipped by me. I felt like and ant at a picnic about to be squished (and I drive a big vehicle). I stayed back out of the crowded spots and watch the cars whip in and out like the Blue Angels flying in formation in the sky over a crowded audience at an air show. I was amazed what a rush we are all truly in every single day of our lives. As I watched them zip in and out of each other, I spotted a red fox running down the side of the highway, and I wondered how many of those people I was driving  along side actually saw this amazing creature.

Then of course as I kept driving, I was in total silence, and I didn't realize it. I had turned the radio off, I wasn't talking on my phone, and I was alone in the car. And it was wonderful. I was able to think about life and our world today. I know that sounds a little "too deep" for a car ride down I-45, but my husband always tells me my trian of thought is an enigma to him. I can hear a name or a sound and somehow I am able to turn it into my thoughts on a cure for cancer. I don't know if he is more astonished with the fact that I actually think I can cure cancer, or the fact that I did it in a matter of 30 seconds.

Ok, so I digress, but my point is, I was able to think about the world we live in today, and how dependent was have become on our computers, our phones, and all of our gadgets that keep our lives "running". In fact in my circle of friends, I am the "odd man out"...due to the fact that I think I am the only living Generation X-er that is not on Facebook, yes folks you heard correctly, I am not on Facebook. I think I attribute a lot of my stubbornness (in not joining the social networking lifestyle) and wishful thinking that the world will slow down one day due to the time I was able to study abroad in Italy while I was in college.

The Italians have it all figured out, they know how to slow down and have their Siestas everyday from 2-4pm, and close up their businesses and have a cappuccino or glass of wine with their friends and family. They get to work around nine, have lunch, work another hour, take their Siesta, then decide, to close up shop for the day...it is fantastic. They are the most relaxed and happy culture I have ever had the pleasure of being around.

Don't misunderstand me, we wouldn't be where we are today without all of these wonderful gadgets, but it wasn't too long ago that we were able to survive without the texting, the roaring down the highway and the chatter on Facebook.

So it is my challenge that we all try to take a day in 2011 to live without or phones, computers and social networking. I know, after this article I need to guard my doors, but I promise, once you give up the dependency, it is almost like a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders.

No comments: