Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Just Say Thank You

In the Tree House: Just Say Thank You

By: Samantha S. Daviss

Well we had another exciting airport adventure. This trip was short and sweet though, nonetheless, we got to battle TSA, again.

I’m thinking I am going to create signs to pin on my family that say “One year old with sippy cup, blanket, and pacifier, no drugs or bombs in his diaper or milk”; “Two year old with sippy cup, cowboy boots, and no explosives in his milk or boots”…you get the idea. I think it would make the line and process go much smoother, what do you think?

I feel like sometimes it might just be easier to lay the kids down on the conveyor belt and send them through the X-ray machine and get it over and done with; and not to mention the fact that they have to wand my entire body, and rub those little clothe things on my hands to see if I have handled any explosive devices. Only device I have handled that may explode is my mind.

However, after TSA scanned my diaper bag 4 times, yes 4 times, and ran the milk through the X-ray 3 times and tested the contents we were finally sent on our way. I really am not complaining about the job TSA has to do, I just find it humorous that it is about a 30 minute process for me every time I go through. So I go in with a positive attitude and stay friendly with all the agents, because there is nothing I can do to speed it up. But like they say “Better be safe, than sorry”; and after 9/11 I am willing to tolerate anything these days to keep my family and country safe.

So with that said, the boys and I wander down to our gate where we settle ourselves in by the window so they can observe all the planes coming and going and all of the trucks loading and unloading the airplanes. The baby is in that stage of life where he walks up to people and just stares at them; doesn’t really say “Hi” or wave to them, just stares as if he is taking in their presence, and just observing them in general.

After a few minutes of occupying the entire area by ourselves, a nice quiet young man comes and sits down next to me. I really wasn’t paying attention to who he was or what he was wearing, due to the fact that my head was on a pivot trying to wrangle my boys and keep them near me. When all of the sudden the baby comes running up to me, and passes me by a few steps and just stops to stare at the young man sitting next to me; which of course caused me to turn and look at him.

He was dressed in full military camouflage with his assigned military backpack resting at his feet. As the baby just stared at him, I told him to say “Hi” to the young man, but he just kept staring, which in turn made the soldier smile and giggle a little to himself.

A few moments later our seating area was called to board the flight, so I gathered all of our belongings together and loaded the boys on the plane. And home we went.

That evening as I was lying in bed, and I’m not sure why, but the vision of that quiet young man popped into my head. So I started thinking to myself, where was he headed? Was he getting to go home? Was he being shipped out again after time spent with his family over the holidays? Was he starting basic training? I wondered what the future held for him.

Then I became very disappointed in myself. I couldn’t believe I missed such a wonderful opportunity, to teach my son the value of what that young man is doing for his (my son’s) freedom and way of life. I was so upset that I didn’t tell my one-year old to say “Thank You” to that soldier instead of “Hi”. And I was even more disappointed in myself for not saying “Thank You”.

If you think about it, it really is such a simple gesture. Really no other words or follow-up explanation is required. Our soldiers know exactly what you mean when you say a simple “Thank You” to them.

They know you are thanking them for laying their lives on the line for total and complete strangers all over the United States, daily. They know you are thanking them for spending months, upon years away from their families and loved ones. They know you are thanking them for all the early mornings of training and long days of preparation that they endure on a constant basis. But most importantly, they know you are thanking them for who they are and the sacrifices they are making for every single one of us.

It would have been so simple and selfless of me to tell my little boy to thank the nice soldier man sitting next to mommy, instead of “Hi”; because that “Thank You” would have meant the world to us all.

So just remember, when you pass one of our military personnel on the street, in the airport, or in the grocery store…it’s simple, just smile and say “Thank You.”

No comments: