Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

So many moms




By: Samantha S Daviss

Well another summer in the books and another school year to get geared up for. As I pack their lunches and try to get our morning routine down, I realize I am not one of those moms that is envied at school, but after I explain to you why I look the way I do in the hallways you will actually want to come running and offer me a beverage (of the adult sort) to put me at ease.

I want to say I get up early to spend some “me time” either reading a book, drinking my coffee, or going for a brisk exercise induced walk…but that couldn’t be further from the truth. The truth is I get up at 5:45 am; leave the house by 6:10 so my oldest son can make it to football practice on time (with the little ones strapped in the back of the car on pallets so they can continue sleeping since I yanked them out of bed at 6 am); then we return home around 6:45 am, I get the middle one dressed and fed so we can leave the house by 7:25am and return back to where we just were an hour earlier to get him to kindergarten on time; and then it’s just the little one and me, so we come home and I feed him and dress him and two days a week get him to his mother’s morning out by 8:30; and finally I get to return home to jump in the shower throw my clothes on and be out the door by 9:15 to get to the office. So by the time most folks are loading up to head out for the first time, I have already made three trips.

But every morning walking your kiddo into school you see all types of moms. There are the “together moms”, the “group moms”, the “fit moms”, the “PJ moms”, the “hungry moms”, and the “I tried moms”. I feel like I fit into the latter category.

I am definitely not the “together mom”. She’s the one that is super perky in the mornings and has been up since 4:30am with her hair washed and styled, her makeup on, and her adorable coordinating outfit on complete with matching accessories. You have to understand, after working all day, being an after school taxi service, and chasing three boys around…I need sleep. Therefore I will never get up to be cute for you people at 4:30 in the morning. The only time I am up that early is to catch a flight to Rome.

Then there are the “group moms”. They are the ones that are so together, they have completely coordinated their day together, and already have a coffee break scheduled after they drop the kids off. I only wish I could remember to call my friends, let alone set up a coffee meeting with them. Ahhh to sit and talk with my girls in the morning….that would be lovely. But no, I am like the Army, I have done more before 9am than most do all day.

And the “fit moms”…oh how I envy you. But that goes back to the fact that I will never give up my sleep time. You are also the perky ones that are up and at ‘em by 4:30 or 5am in your cute little jogging outfits. While I am still asleep in bed, mouth guard in, only dreaming of fitting back into last year’s jeans.

But who can forget the “PJ moms”? There are days that I teeter on this description. But I have promised my boys I will never drop them off (any more) in my PJs or without the appropriate under garments on (if you catch my drift). After all, your PJs are soft and fluffy for bed, not for public; my boys don’t want to see me in PJs or without under garments, why would all the other parents?

Then there are the “hungry moms”. They have shelves of recipe books, the most clouded Pinterest account, and yet they can fit into my right pant leg. Again with the energy, the cute workout outfit, and all smiles bounding into the school. Who are you people? You don’t eat, you don’t sleep, and all you do is workout, yet you are still happy…I need some of what you all have.

And the final category…the “I tried moms”. Yep this is me. I tried to look descent “But hey listen! I’ve been up since before dawn, making lunches, getting people dressed, brushing teeth, and loading kids in and out of the car.” So in my mind, you people staring at me in the hallway with my mascara not completely washed off from the night before, my hair in the same wad as it was when I went to sleep, and my oversized t-shirt on over my leggings. To you I say, just be grateful I am dressed and am wearing the appropriate under garment.

Whatever mom you are, God bless you. Because every mom, no matter her routine, her energy, or her approach to motherhood is fantastic; and it is the toughest job you will never receive a paycheck for except through lots of hugs and kisses and late night snuggles.

No comments: