Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 27, 2017

It Seems so Simple



For such a short simple word, you would think its meaning would be an easy action to maintain or handle, right?

Well “To Forgive” is such a very powerful statement and verb of action.

Defined by the dictionary, forgive means:

for·give
fərˈɡiv/
verb
verb: forgive; 3rd person present: forgives; past tense: forgave; gerund or present participle: forgiving; past participle: forgiven
  1. stop feeling angry or resentful toward (someone) for an offense, flaw, or mistake.
"I don't think I'll ever forgive David for the way he treated her"
synonyms:
make allowances for, feel no resentment toward, feel no malice toward, harbor no grudge against, bury the hatchet with;
let bygones be bygones;
informallet off (the hook);
formalexculpate
"she would not forgive him"
antonyms:


o    stop feeling angry or resentful toward someone for (an offense, flaw, or mistake).
"they are not going to pat my head and say all is forgiven"
o    cancel (a debt).
"he proposed that their debts should be forgiven"

The exact words are to “stop feeling angry, resentful toward someone for an offense, flaw or mistake”. Now I don’t know about you, but that is a pretty big pill to swallow; especially when someone has hurt you, hurt someone you love, or someone you love has been taken away too soon. 

But they tell us to forgive. So that means we have to forgive that drunk driver that killed our entire family. That means we have to forgive the man that used to beat his wife into submission every night, is that what they are saying.

I never understood, when I would watch shows such as Oprah, that a mother was able to forgive that drunk driver. But now, after looking up the word, what it means is you, yourself, must relinquish any anger or ill-feelings, or harbored feelings you have had. In a way, to forgive, is almost working on your side. Now this doesn’t mean you have to excuse them for their actions, or condone what they have done to you in your past or their past. What it is doing, is allowing you to let that burdon be lifted off of your shoulders. It is allowing you to breathe freely again. It is lifting the burdon of anger off of you. Off of your soul, your heart, your being in general.

This recently happened to me personally. I allowed my self to forgive someone from my past. It has been wonderful. I feel as if a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, my heart and my soul. It doesn’t mean I agree with what happened in the past, or even condone it. But it is with a much lighter, and easier heart that I have allowed myself to move on and not hang on to the pain.

It has been a peaceful journey for me. It has allowed me to open my heart and my soul and not expel hatred or anger. 

Just remember, if you have been hurt physically or emotionally, or a member of your family has. Try to find your inner peace. Try to forgive. Again, it doesn’t mean you have to approve or condone their actions that have hurt you or your loved ones, but forgiveness will allow you to move on and accept life as it is in the present state, not the past.

No comments: