Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 21, 2016

The most painful silence



By: Samantha S. Daviss

You know, I have been in some pretty weird situations in my lifetime, and extremely uncomfortable ones too.

They have gone from massive fights, to being on the wrong end of a train when it was uncoupling in the station, and realizing the end you are on is headed in the opposite direction of where you need to be going, to catching people in the act of cheating or lying.

But it’s funny how there is one situation in life that is the most awkward and painful situation most everyone is in. And some have to endure it on a daily basis. We try to change it, we try to make it better, but it is just one of those unfortunate things that is out of our hands and our control. But yet, it is so painfully awkward we don’t know how to react when we are in the midst of it.

And this awkward time in our lives, which I know everyone can relate to at some time or another in their lives, is that of…riding in an elevator. See you thought I was going to be super deep with this. 

But still, why is riding in an elevator so painfully quiet?

Why do people feel that it is not okay to say good morning, or how are you? What is it about that big metal box that puts the quiet hush over every living soul in the world? I think when we built our new house, I left out one major factor, and that is an elevator. I never thought about it until now. Why wouldn’t I put an elevator in my house? It is the perfect “silencer” for my children. Instead of sending them to their rooms, I will send them to the elevator for a time out and a moment of silence.

Seriously, is there some unwritten law that states we cannot talk to people while we are ascending or descending 15 floors, and having to stop 12 times along the way? Why are we so uncomfortable with people being in “our space”? Is that what the silence is for? Do we not want these total strangers in “our space”? Because guess what, they can’t very easily go anywhere, you are all kind of stuck together for the next 3 and a half minutes.

Sometimes when it is so deafly quiet I just want to start a conversation…” Hi, my name is Sam, I’m a Pisces and I like long walks on the beach.” That should really freak some people out. I’m not saying you have to exchange social security numbers, but a friendly hi or hello would do nicely, or hey even a smile might be a nice gesture.

Because guess what folks, the people getting on and off, aren’t invisible, they really are there. They are stuck with you for the next 15 floors, so deal with it. It is just an observation I made this past weekend and it caught me as funny. But the people that are probably the worst about it are Americans. I don’t know if we are that petrified of people invading our space, or we really dislike others that much, or we are just that self-absorbed that we don’t notice or care about the other people standing next to us shoulder-to-shoulder.

So here’s some homework: The next time you are on an elevator, say hello. You never know who you may meet or where the conversation could take you. People are pretty fascinating; you just have to make them feel comfortable.

No comments: